Artwork & Proofing Policy
Last updated on 15/03/2022
Artwork Proofing Policy
We send all your proofs from first design suggestion to final version as PDF files. We recommend checking the proof always on a laptop or desktop computer screen as you see a better view of the proof. Mobile phones may not give a true representation of the proof and spotting any issues can be more difficult from a small screen.
Checking everything carefully is very important as you have the responsibility to confirm to us that the job is fully satisfactory and correct for printing.
If requested, an online digital proof will be made available or emailed for your review after we have received your files for print.
- Jobs with proof requests will not be sent to press without the Customers approval unless the proof approval is explicitly waived. Printex will not be liable for delays in the order caused by the Customers non-approval of the proof or waiting for the proof to be approved.
- An online proof is not an accurate colour reproduction of the final printed piece. It is the final opportunity for the Customer to check all aspects of the job including but not limited to: size, layout, bleeds, crops, ensuring high resolution images are used, ensuring RGB is converted to CMYK, and final text. Electronic proofs do not show transparency and overprint issues nor do they show colour change from RGB to CMYK.
- The proof must be treated as independent from the original submitted file and thoroughly reviewed prior to approval. It should be checked against the original file for possible errors in size, layout, copy, spacing, punctuation or image placement. The Customer is fully responsible for all that is contained in the final approved proof.
- Delivered plotter proofs show reasonable likeness to the final printed pieces. Delivered plotter proofs are printed on a bond paper using inkjet inks which differs from the actual stock or substrate and the inks used of the final product.
- FOGRA proofs are recommended for colour-critical artwork and must be requested by the Customer when the print order is made. FOGRA’s are only 95% accurate on coated stocks/substrates and 80% accurate on uncoated stocks/substrates.
- The Customer must ensure they have read and understood their responsibilities to check all aspects of the job including size, number of pages and cover, page order, all content and that the colour is a close representation of what they require.
- Printex’s pre-print department does basic checks on all submitted artwork files before printing, but the customer is still 100% responsible for the accuracy of the print-ready artwork files submitted, and it is the responsibility of the Customer to check all aspects and to proofread all files carefully before submitting any files for print. Printex is not responsible for any issues as to orientation or alignment of the pages of any submitted artwork.
- Any additional proofs above an email proof done, will be charged for. The request for a delivered plotter proof will extend the amount of time needed to complete the job. The job can only proceed to print once the client has signed and returned the signed off hard copy proof. In the case of an emailed proof Printex will only proceed to print once an email approval is received.
- Where Printex has produced a proof for a Customer, the Customer acknowledges and accepts that such plotter or digital proof is merely illustrative of the final product to be produced by Printex and its partners shall have no liability to Customer for slight variations in the final Product from the proof supplied.
- In the event that the Customer notifies Printex that it wishes to proceed with the order without correcting any defects in the Artwork, the Customer does so at its own risk. Once approved by the Customer, Printex holds no responsibility whatsoever for any errors incurred.
- If additional costs arise due to the inaccuracy of the Artwork, these will be borne by the Customer.
- After the order is placed, the Customer shall only be entitled to make changes to the order provided the customer remains liable for any additional costs incurred by Printex in making such changes.
- Plotter proofs or hardcopy digital proofs will not have any special finishing on them that the final job will have.
- It is vital for the Customer to check with each product online the possible addition of any conditions in terms of a hard copy proof. When the Customer is on the specifications of the product page of the Printex single product page, the Customer must simply click on the “Hardcopy proof required” which has a dotted underline and more detail will pop up. The Customer must read this to avoid any misunderstanding.
Recommended Client Proofing Procedure
- Read the proof carefully and check everything is spelt correctly and there are no words missing
- Please check all e-mail addresses and phone numbers are correct
- Correct images used in correct order (for example in newsletters or brochures)
- Order of pages or content is correct
- If there are any issues with the proof make sure you notify us immediately and clearly state what needs to be changed.
- Sometimes having an additional pair of eyes helps. Have someone else look at the proof, the more you keep looking at it the harder it can become to spot the things that need to be changed.
Artwork Design Policy
Recommended General Design Specifications
- Illustrations and photo resolution should be 300 dpi
- All full colour process printing converted to CMYK (no PMS colours, RGB, LAB etc)
- Fonts should be embedded or outlined
- Crop & bleed marks included
- Minimum 3 mm bleed
- Make sure text and non-bleed images are kept at least 5mm away from the trim line
- Make sure images going past the trim line have 3 mm bleed consisting of the image
Recommended Wide Format Design Specifications
- Leave 3mm bleed on all edges
- Make sure you have at least 5 mm safe zone (leaving space between the edge and content to ensure content is visually appealing & not in danger of being trimmed)
- For photos and illustrations we recommend 150 dpi resolution
- Fonts: Outlined or Embedded
Recommended Banner Design Specifications
- Minimum 5 mm bleed on all edges
- Leave 36 mm safe zone (Accounting for Hemming & Eyelets)
- Photos and illustration150 dpi
Artwork Layout Approval Confirmation
By approving a layout for your ordered product, you are confirming that :
1.) Printex will not be held responsible for any spelling or artwork errors once approved by you.
2.) Day one in production starts the day after we have received both layout approval and full payment
3.) Delivery date to be advised. Changes and/or revisions to this layout will influence production & delivery dates.
4.) Printing colour’s will be matched as close as possible to Pantone colour’s or swatches supplied.
5.) We do not guarantee a 100% colour match.
6.) We are not liable for any loss or damage once items leave our premises.
7.) This Virtual Layout is not a true refection of the colour but merely and indication of what the item will look like.
8.) Should you require changes, we will issue a new layout for final proofng before production commences.
9.) We automatically convert RGB supplied artwork to CMYK . Some colour changes may occur during this process.
Free Artwork Check Service
Printex will do basic free artwork design checks on the the following :
- Colour Profile (CMYK Required)
- Design sizing in relation to required Product sizing
- Text/Font is outlined or included in submitted designs
- Correct Orientation of the submitted artwork
- Correct file format has been submitted
- General level of acceptance of image quality
- Safe Areas, Bleed Margins & Cut lines are adhered to
Product Design Templates
All products have design templates available for users to use as guidelines in the design process.
Please browse our template section for the required template.
If template is not available please contact us for a copy
All submitted artwork designs will adhere to our design manual. Manual can be viewed or downloaded in the design section or a copy can be requested from our Help Desk
Printex offers various design services for majority of the products as an additional option with a fixed fee when ordering.
Each design service is governed by its own unique set of benefits & limitations which can be viewed or downloaded in the design section on this website
For any questions or design advice please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org